Health screening - men - age 40 - 64
All adults should visit their health care provider from time to time, even if they are healthy. The purpose of these visits is to:
- Screen for diseases
- Assess risk of future medical problems
- Help develop a healthy lifestyle
- Update vaccinations
- Maintain a relationship with a doctor in case of an illness
Health maintenance visit - men - age 40 - 64; Physical exam - men - age 40 - 64; Yearly exam - men - age 40 - 64; Checkup - men - age 40 - 64; Men's health - age 40 - 64
Even if you feel fine, it is still important to see your health care provider regularly to check for potential problems. Most people who have high blood pressure don't even know it. The only way to find out is to have your blood pressure checked regularly. Likewise, high blood sugar and high cholesterol levels often do not produce any symptoms until the disease becomes advanced.
There are specific times when you should see your health care provider. Age-specific guidelines are as follows:
- Blood pressure screening:
- Cholesterol screening and heart disease prevention:
- Colon cancer screening: People between ages 50 and 75 should be screened for colorectal cancer. This may involve:
- Dental exam:
- Eye exam:
- Preventive health visit every 2 years until age 50, and then once a year, should include:
- Prostate cancer screening:
U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for prostate cancer. U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. . 2008;149(3):185-191.
U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; 2010.
Atkins D, Barton M. The periodic health examination. In: Goldman L, Schafer AI, eds. . 24th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders Elsevier; 2011:chap 14.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Recommended adult immunization schedule -- United States, 2012. . 2011;61(4):1-7.
Smith RA, Cokkinides V, Brawley OW. Cancer screening in the United States, 2010: A review of current American Cancer Society guidelines and issues in cancer screening. 2010;60(2):99-119.