Skin blushing or flushing is a sudden reddening of the face, neck, or upper chest.
Blushing; Flushing; Red face
Blushing is a normal body response that may occur when you are embarrassed, angry, excited, or experiencing some other strong emotion.
Flushing of the face may also be associated with certain medical conditions.
Common causes include:
- Extreme emotions
- Hot or spicy foods
Other causes include:
Try to avoid the things that cause your blushing. For example, you may need to avoid hot drinks, spicy foods, extreme temperatures, and bright sunlight.
Call your health care provider if
Call your doctor if you have persistent flushing, particularly if you have other symptoms (such as diarrhea).
What to expect at your health care provider's office
Your doctor will perform a physical exam and may ask you questions about your medical history and symptoms, including:
- Does the flushing affect the whole body or just the face?
- Do you have hot flashes?
- How often do you have flushing or blushing?
- Are episodes getting worse or more frequent?
- Is it worse after you drink alcohol?
- What other symptoms do you have? For example, do you have diarrhea , wheezing , hives , or difficulty breathing ?