Lily of the valley
Lily of the valley is a flowering plant. Lily of the valley poisoning occurs when someone eats parts of this plant.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Note: This list may not include all poisonous ingredients.
The flowers, fruit, and leaves of the lily of the valley plant are poisonous.
- Eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and throat
- Heart and blood
- Nervous system
Note: Depression, loss of appetite, and halos are usually only seen in chronic overdose cases.
Seek immediate medical help. Do NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by poison control or a health care professional.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- Patient's age, weight, and condition
- Name and part of the plant swallowed, if known
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
See: Poison control center - emergency number
What to expect at the emergency room
The health care provider will measure and monitor your vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. You may receive:
- Activated charcoal
- Breathing support
- Fluids through a vein (IV)
- Electrocardiogram (EKG )
- Medicine called an antidote to reverse the effects of the poison
How well you do depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment is received. The faster you get medical help, the better the chance for recovery.
Graeme K. Toxic plant ingestions. In: Auerbach PS, ed. . 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Mosby Elsevier; 2007:chap 58.