Search

Mercuric chloride poisoning

Definition

Mercuric chloride is a very poisonous form of mercury. It is a type of mercury salt. There are different types of mercury poisonings . This article discusses poisoning from swallowing mercuric chloride.

This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or a local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222.

Poisonous Ingredient

  • Mercuric chloride

Where Found

Mercuric chloride may be found in some:

Note: This list may not be all inclusive.

Symptoms

Home Treatment

Seek immediate medical help. DO NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by Poison Control or a health care professional.

Before Calling Emergency

Determine the following information:

  • Patient's age, weight, and condition
  • Name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
  • Time it was swallowed
  • Amount swallowed

Poison Control, or a local emergency number

In the United States, call 1-800-222-1222 to speak with a local poison control center. This hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.

This is a free and confidential service. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.

What to expect at the emergency room

The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. The patient may receive:

  • Activated charcoal
  • Laxative
  • Medicines to treat symptoms
  • Medicines called chelators to remove mercury from the bloodstream
  • Methods to make the person vomit (throw up)

Expectations (prognosis)

This substance is very poisonous. How well the patient does often depends on what symptoms occur within the first 10 to 15 minutes after swallowing it and how quickly treatment is received. Kidney failure and death can occur, even with small doses.

If the poisoning has occurred slowly over time, any brain damage may be permanent.

References

Goldfrank LR, ed. . 8th ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2006.

Media

    Encyclopedia content is provided as information only and not intended to replace the advice and instruction from your personal physician.