Medication safety; Poison control
Every year, many children are brought to the emergency room because they took medicine by accident. A lot of medicine is made to look and taste like candy. Children are curious and attracted to medicine.
Most children get into medicine when their parent or caregiver is not looking. You can prevent accidents by keeping medicine locked up, out of reach, and out of sight. Be especially careful if you have toddlers around.
If you think your child has taken medicine, call the poison control center. It is open 24 hours a day. Post the number of your local poison control center by your phone.
Go to the nearest emergency room. Your child may need:
When giving medicine to your young child, follow these safety tips:
Call the doctor if: