Hotel reservations have been made. Upon arrival in the local area, Transition Nurses should contact a Course Supervisor. NTP Course Supervisors need a working phone and/or email to keep you updated on any schedule changes.
A welcome folder with your week-one agenda and additional information should be picked up when you check in to the hotel. You need your welcome folder on NTP Day One.
Required Document Checklist
- Military ID card
- Six (6) copies of your orders
- DD form 214 Certificate of Release/Discharge from AD (applicable to prior service members only)
- Physical Fitness test printout
- Immunization Records
- Basic Life Support Card (must be an original “BLS Healthcare Provider” or “Professional Rescuer CPR” card)
- Copy of all travel receipts (lodging, weight tickets and air travel if applicable)
- Personal bank routing information (you will in process with finance office)
- Driver’s license, car registration, and proof in insurance (if bringing an automobile)
- Marriage certificate, children’s birth certificate(s) (as applicable)
- Medications (have enough to get through the NTP and to your next duty assignment)
The NTP class will spend 1 day of the orientation week at Luke for in processing to finance, personnel, medical and TRICARE. Please refer to the document checklist and have required items available on day one.
Student Lodging/Check-In Information
There are no authorized delays (pass or leave) enroute from COT to Scottsdale. Your orders provide a maximum number of allowed days in which to travel (5 days). If you are flying, you are only authorized one day. For those of you not attending COT, your orders will specify the number of authorized travel days to reach the Phoenix area. If flying, you are only authorized one day. Early reporting is not recommended.
Please contact the Course Supervisor to confirm travel plans and anticipated arrival date.
Transition Nurses stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott, Scottsdale/ Paradise Valley, located at 6040 North Scottsdale Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85253. Their phone number is 480-948-8666. You do NOT need to make a reservation at the Marriott as a block of rooms has already been reserved.
Two transition nurses will be assigned to each suite at the Residence Inn.
Residence Inn by Marriott:
- Residence Inn by Marriott suites are comprised of a common living area with fireplace, television,
Wi-Fi, and desk, 2 separate bedrooms and a kitchen. Each bedroom has a private bathroom and television. The kitchen includes a full-size refrigerator, stove, oven, dishwasher, microwave, coffeepot and toaster, as well as pots pans, cooking utensils, silverware and dinnerware with place settings for 4.
- Free Wi-Fi in the lobby
- A complementary hot breakfast buffet is provided daily and there is a guest social hour that runs Monday-Thursday evenings.
- Washers and dryers are available on property and irons and ironing boards are provided in each room.
- There is an exercise gym on the property at no cost. The exercise gym on property is open 24 hours.
- Individuals traveling by POV may park at the Residence Inn free of charge. This area is not assumed to be secure and we encourage you not to leave valuables in your car. Rental cars at government expense are NOT authorized.
Transition Nurses wear both ABUs and blues during the program. You need at least one set of blues, ABUs, and PT gear for the NTP. Please have the basic nursing corps device for both ABUs and blues. SHC-issued surgical scrubs are worn for the majority of your clinical instruction. Additionally, there are several times when Service Dress is required during your time at Scottsdale.
A pair of conservative (white or black) tennis shoes or other hospital-appropriate footwear is required to be worn with scrubs while performing your clinical duties.
You are required to wear a military nametag (blue nametag also worn with blues) and rank on your scrubs. You can bring nametags with you, or purchase them at clothing sales. Keep in mind there is usually a one to two week turn-around for nametags.
SCRUBS ARE PROVIDED BY SCOTTSDALE HEALTHCARE.
Transition Nurses receive Scottsdale Healthcare identification badges. You must wear your badge at all times while participating in activities on the hospital campus.
During your rotation through NTP, remember you are a member of the U.S. Armed Services and subject to regulations regarding appearance, fraternization and behavior. We have occasional visitors from the Pentagon, Air Force Medical Service (AFMS) Headquarters and the National Guard Bureau as well as distinguished civilian visitors. Address fellow team members and faculty by proper military titles and civilian staff by “Mr./Ms./Dr./Sir/Ma’am” Exercise good judgment when choosing off-duty activities.
The website for Luke Air Force Base is www.luke.af.mil. It includes links for base and local area information. Another site with Scottsdale Healthcare information is www.shc.org.
If you are interested in learning about the Air Force in general click here. There is a lot of interesting information on the site including biographies of senior leadership and links to other base websites.