Novalis Shaped Beam Radiotherapy
Scottsdale Healthcare’s Virginia G. Piper Cancer Center is the region’s first provider of Novalis Shaped Beam Radiotherapy.
Performed on an outpatient basis, Novalis is a unique, non-invasive treatment solution for many patients otherwise considered untreatable by conventional means. This specialized radiation therapy procedure is painless, fast and requires no hospitalization. Patients typically return to their daily routine that same day.
A Better Treatment Option
The Novalis Shaped Beam Radiotherapy System is the first device of its type to combine the benefits of stereotactic radiosurgery, 3-dimensional conformal radiotherapy and intensity modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) in a single platform. Through the use of a unique high resolution radiation beam-shaping device, Novalis can precisely target lesions of virtually any size or shape in both the brain and body.
Using a variety of specialized techniques, it continuously shapes the radiation beam to precisely match the size and shape of the target. The tumor or lesion receives the maximum amount of radiation possible while nearby healthy tissue remains protected and safe.
Better Quality of Life
Following are some reasons why patients who receive Novalis Shaped Beam Radiotherapy enjoy a better quality of life than those who undergo other treatment options:
- Novalis radiation treatments are non-invasive and painless.
- Brain tumor patients typically lose little or no hair.
- Prostate cancers can be treated with minimal risk to bowel and bladder.
- Oral cancers can be treated with significantly less mouth dryness or irritation.
- High doses of radiation can be administered to lung tumors while minimizing damage to the otherwise healthy lung tissue.