Lymphedema Treatment Center
Lymphedema is swelling that occurs in the body due to a compromised lymphatic system. It most commonly occurs as a result of treatment for certain cancers, and can interfere with wound healing and lead to other complications.
The Virginia G. Piper Cancer Center offers a Lymphedema Treatment Center staffed by certified lymphedema therapists who have extensive expertise in assessment, manual lymphatic drainage, oncology rehabilitation and compression therapy. These specialists will provide an evaluation and develop a treatment plan tailored to your specific needs.
The Lymphedema Treatment Center is the only National Lymphedema Network-sponsored facility in Arizona. Our treatment team offers comprehensive and compassionate treatment and guidance to patients and those at risk of developing lymphedema.
We offer individualized treatment programs that personalize care for each patient. The Lymphedema Treatment Center helps lymphedema patients reduce the swelling and inflammation associated with the condition. Treatments also can help remove impurities from the affected tissue, which helps reduce the risk of infection.
Our Therapists are certified by the Lymphology Association of North America (LANA) in the assessment and treatment of lymphedema.
The Lymphedema Treatment Center offers a comprehensive treatment approach tailored to your needs in a warm, friendly environment.
After evaluation, a typical treatment program, which usually takes two-to-four weeks, may include any or all of the following:
- Manual Lymph Drainage — Using a non-invasive, manual therapy technique, lymph fluid is drained from the affected extremity’s superficial lymph vessels.
- Compression Bandaging — The affected extremity is wrapped with low-stretch bandages, resulting in fluid reduction.
- Sequential Compression Pumps — In some cases the therapist may use compression pumps in conjunction with manual lymphedema therapy. Some patients also use sequential compression pumps at home when needed.
- Skin Care Management and Treatment — Skin care management and treatment are essential to the overall success of lymphedema therapy by keeping tissue healthy and maximizing skin nutrition. Our therapists look closely for early signs of redness and/or infection.
- Therapeutic Exercise — Exercise, including flexibility, strengthening and aerobic activity, often helps the lymphatic system drain excess fluids.
- Kinesio Taping® — Based on the body’s natural healing process, this technique activates neurological and circulatory systems to facilitate the flow of fluids.
- Self-management Instruction — Therapists will teach you how to manage lymphedema while at home.
- Assistance in selecting medical compression garments and supplies for therapeutic home programs.
- Monthly educational support group [Search keyword: Lymphedema for our next event]
- Monthly information session for new and prospective patients
Anyone may contact the Lymphedema Treatment Center for information and assistance. However, because lymphedema therapy is a medical treatment, a referral from your physician is required to initiate treatment. If you believe the center can help you, please contact your physician for a referral.
View our referral form.
If you have any other questions or concerns, please contact us as we will help guide you in the right direction.
Lymphedema Treatment Center
Virginia G. Piper Cancer Center
Third Floor, Suite 301
Scottsdale, Az 85258
480-323-1100 option 5